Bernard Looney, Blood oil, Bob Dudley, BP, BP Rosneft dividends, BP-Rosneft projects, funding Putin’s dirty war, Gerhard Schroeder, Igor Sechin, Kharampurneftegaz, oil and gas, Philippines, poisoning, pre-tax impairment, Putin’s dirty war, Qatar, Rosneft, Rosneft Board, Rosneft largest private shareholder, Russia, Russia invasion Ukraine, Russian State owned company, Sakha Republic, Sakhalin, sanctions, Sechin, Taas Yuriakh, Tas-Yuryakh, Yermak Neftegaz
“Rosneft is the third largest Russian company and the second-largest state-controlled company (after Gazprom) in Russia in terms of revenue…” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosneft
BP, like many companies, said on 27 February 2022: “we will exit our shareholding in Rosneft and other businesses with Rosneft within Russia.” However, they didn’t say when. So, when are they exiting? When they find someone to buy their stake? When Putin throws them out? If they were still there in in June, they are probably still there. Are they hoping that a new British Prime Minister will go easier on Russia?
See more here: https://miningawareness.wordpress.com/2022/07/25/russia-bans-foreigners-from-selling-assets-qatar-says-cant-leave-russia-market/
“The British energy firm (BP.L) said it would exit its 19.75% stake in Russia’s Rosneft, which is headed by Igor Sechin, an ally of President Vladimir Putin. Rosneft accounted for a third of BP’s oil and gas output in 2021. Sechin said on June 18 that BP remained Rosneft’s largest private shareholder. BP wrote down the value of its shareholding to zero and took a $25.5 billion pre-tax impairment on the Russian assets at the end of March.” This article discusses other oil and gas companies in Russia: https://web.archive.org/web/20220714113422/https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/western-companies-russian-oil-gas-sector-2022-07-01/
With seats on the Rosneft Board, Qatar is apparently still one of the largest non-Russian government owners, unless they have bought additional shares, since June: “As of October 1, 2018, Rosneft’s top three shareholders were JSC Rosneftegaz—which is 100-percent owned by the federal government—with a 50-percent stake, the Russian unit of BP with 19.75 percent, and the Qatari fund’s subsidiary QH Oil Investments LLC with 18.93 percent.” “Qatar’s Fund Pays $4.2B To Become Rosneft’s Third-Largest Shareholder” By Tsvetana Paraskova, Nov 06, 2018 https://web.archive.org/web/20201127193730/https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Qatars-Fund-Pays-42B-To-Become-Rosnefts-Third-Largest-Shareholder.html
“CEO of Rosneft says BP still remains major stakeholder
06/18/2022 | 04:25am EDT (Reuters) – Igor Sechin, the head of Russian oil major Rosneft, said on Saturday that BP still remains its largest private shareholder…. Speaking at the St Petersburg International Economic Forum, Sechin… said BP also still owns stakes in large-scale Rosneft projects including Taas Yuriakh, Kharampurneftegaz and Yermak Neftegaz. He said dividends accruing to BP would be transferred to special accounts…” https://web.archive.org/web/20220724124942/https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/BP-PLC-9590188/news/CEO-of-Rosneft-says-BP-still-remains-major-stakeholder-40758027/
Rosneft is still on the London Stock Exchange, it appears. There were “off book” trades, as recently as July 18, 2022: https://www.londonstockexchange.com/stock/ROSN/rosneft-oil-company/company-page
“Did the Russian secret service poison the chief executive of BP? Former employee claims boss of oil giant fled Moscow after toxin was found in his bloodstream
* Bob Dudley, the American boss of the oil giant, was forced to flee Russia in 2008
* He was paranoid at work and felt unwell after eating company food, it’s claimed
* Mr Dudley pictured shaking hands with Vladimir Putin on a BP joint venture deal
By FIONN HARGREAVES FOR THE DAILY MAIL PUBLISHED: 20:54 EDT, 29 April 2018 | UPDATED: 06:08 EDT, 30 April 2018 https://web.archive.org/web/20180516093908/https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5672533/Did-Russian-secret-service-poison-chief-executive-BP-American-boss-fled-Russia-2008.html (Bob Dudley apparently loves money more than his life, or he wouldn’t have returned to Russia.)
Former German Chancellor Schroeder was Chairman of Rosneft until May: https://miningawareness.wordpress.com/2022/03/09/russias-german-connection-former-chancellor-schroeder-chair-of-rosneft-and-nord-stream-to-join-gazprom-board-complaint-of-crimes-against-humanity-filed-against-him-in-germany/
BP News Release:
“A message to all bp staff on our relationship with Rosneft
Release date: 27 February 2022
Like so many of you, I have been deeply shocked and saddened by the situation unfolding in Ukraine. We are witnessing an act of aggression which is having tragic consequences across the region. A number of you have shared your concerns with me directly. I really appreciate it – it’s important you feel you can do this in our company, so thank you.
Right thing to do
In the hours and days since military action began, we have been fundamentally rethinking our position with Rosneft. And with that, I now want to share the decisions that the bp Board, after a thorough process, has made:
* First, we will exit our shareholding in Rosneft and other businesses with Rosneft within Russia.
* Second, I am resigning my seat on Rosneft’s board with immediate effect, as is Bob Dudley, our former ceo.
* Third, our results from now onwards will not include any production and profits from our shareholding in Rosneft.
I am convinced that the decisions we as a Board have taken are not only the right things to do, they are also in the long-term interests of bp and our shareholders.
Yes, there are financial consequences that will show up as material non-cash charges in our next quarterly results. But importantly, this does not mean any changes to the update on our strategic progress we gave alongside our 2021 full-year results earlier this month. We are sticking with our plan.
Caring for our people
Now we have to work through the next steps. Most of all, this means looking after our great team in Russia. We will do this, as you would expect, with the utmost care for our people.
We are also looking at how bp can support the wider humanitarian effort in the region. My heart goes out to everyone affected.
These are desperately difficult times.
Thank you for all you continue to do for bp.”https://web.archive.org/web/20220326002445/https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/news-and-insights/reimagining-energy/a-message-to-all-bp-staff-on-our-relationship-with-rosneft.html
Directors after Bernard Looney and Bob Dudley (and Schroeder) left:
“ROSNEFT OIL COMPANY: Rosneft Holds Annual General Meeting of Shareholders
ROSNEFT OIL COMPANY
Released 07:20:57 01 July 2022
Rosneft Holds Annual General Meeting of Shareholders
Rosneft holds Annual General Meeting of Shareholders.
The Meeting approved the Annual Report and Financial Statements of Rosneft for 2021. The Company’s shareholders also made a decision to approve the recommendations of Rosneft’s Board of Directors for the record high dividends.
The total 2021 dividend per share including dividends for 1H 2021 is 41 rubles 66 kopecs and the total dividends distribution amounts to RUB 441.5 bln, which is 50% of the Rosneft`s IFRS net income (attributable to shareholders).
During the meeting the shareholders also elected the new Rosneft`s Board of Directors with the following members:
* Andrey I. Akimov – Chairman of the Management Board, Deputy Chairman of the Board of Directors, Gazprombank (Joint Stock Company);
* Pedro A. Aquino Jr. – President – Chief Executive Officer of Oil & Petroleum International Resources Ltd., Independent Director (the Republic of the Philippines);
* Faisal Alsuwaidi – Representative of Qatar Investment Authority (the State of Qatar);
* Hamad Rashid Al-Mohannadi – Representative of Qatar Investment Authority (the State of Qatar);
* Taieb Belmahdi – Independent Director, esteemed oil and gas industry expert with 45 years of experience in the key Middle East energy production facilities, who held executive positions in Qatar Energy (the State of Qatar);
* Vladimir S. Litvinenko – Rector of Saint Petersburg Mining University (Federal State Budgetary Higher Education Institution), Independent Director;
* Alexander D. Nekipelov – Director of the Moscow School of Economics in Lomonosov Moscow State University (MSE MSU), Independent Director;
* Alexander V. Novak – Deputy Chairman of the Government of the Russian Federation;
* Maxim S. Oreshkin – Aide to the President of the Russian Federation;
* Igor I. Sechin – Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Management Board of Rosneft;
* Alexander V. Uss – Governor of the Krasnoyarsk Territory.
Taieb Belmahdi was elected Chairman of Rosneft`s Board of Directors.
Department of Information and Advertising, Rosneft Oil Company, June 30, 2022” https://web.archive.org/web/20220724123516/https://www.londonstockexchange.com/news-article/ROSN/rosneft-oil-company-rosneft-holds-annual-general-meeting-of-shareholders/15521519
“Bernard Looney said that a tax raid on his industry would make the UK a less stable environment for investing and potentially hold back plans to wean the UK off its dependence on foreign oil and gas.“ https://web.archive.org/web/20220517220520/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/12/sunak-endangering-britains-energy-security-windfall-tax-warns/
Here is the unclear UK Russian sanctions guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/russia-sanctions-guidance/russia-sanctions-guidance
Are companies a legal person in the UK?
Among other things:
“The Regulations prohibit:
* direct acquisition of any ownership interest in Russian land and persons connected with Russia
* indirect acquisition of any ownership interest in Russian land and persons connected with Russia for the purpose of making funds or economic resources available directly or indirectly to, or for the benefit of, persons connected with Russia
* direct or indirect acquisition of any ownership interest in entities with a place of business in Russia (which are not persons connected with Russia) for the purpose of making funds or economic resources available directly or indirectly to, or for the benefit of, persons connected with Russia
* establishing joint ventures with a person connected with Russia“ https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/russia-sanctions-guidance/russia-sanctions-guidance