Administration, cummings, Economy & Jobs, Ethics and Transparency, Federal Workforce, H.R. 1, Lewis, Pence tax returns, President tax returns, Strengthening Ethics Rules for the Executive Branch, taxes, Trump tax returns, US House Oversight Committee, voting rights
“Democrats Hold Key Hearings on H.R. 1—The “For the People” Act
Feb 5, 2019 Press Release
Washington, D.C. (Feb. 5, 2019)— This week, the House Committees on Oversight and Reform and Ways and Means will hold hearings on H.R. 1, the For the People Act.
On January 3, 2019, Rep. John Sarbanes introduced this landmark legislation to clean up corruption, fight big money in politics, and make it easier for American citizens to vote. The bill has more than 200 cosponsors and is endorsed by more than 65 organizations.
“The American people voted for accountability and transparency from this Administration, and Democrats have introduced this legislation to deliver on that promise,” said Chairman Cummings. “I look forward to hearing from the expert witnesses on the critical reforms in H.R. 1 to ensure the government is working effectively and efficiently for all people.”
“Transparency is a hallmark of good government,” said Chairman Lewis. “The Ways and Means Oversight Subcommittee is holding this important hearing so that Members and the public will learn about existing law, precedents and tradition, and legislative proposals to improve the integrity of our democracy. I look forward to hearing from our witnesses.”
Committee on Oversight and Reform
The Oversight and Reform hearing will examine the proposals in H.R. 1 in the Committee’s jurisdiction, including ethics reforms for the Executive Branch. The hearing can be streamed live here.
WHAT: Hearing on H.R. 1: Strengthening Ethics Rules for the Executive Branch
WHERE: 2154 Rayburn House Office Building
WHEN: Wednesday, February 6, 2019
TIME: 10:00 a.m.
* Mr. Scott Amey, Project on Government Oversight
* Ms. Karen Hobert Flynn, Common Cause
* Mr. Rudy Mehrbani, Brennan Center for Justice
* Mr. Walter Shaub Jr., Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
* Mr. Bradley Smith, Institute for Free Speech
Committee on Ways and Means
The Ways and Means Oversight Subcommittee hearing will examine provisions in H.R. 1 that require presidential and vice-presidential candidates to release their tax returns to the public upon becoming their party’s nominees. The hearing can be streamed live here. https://www.youtube.com/c/waysandmeanscommitteehearings
WHAT: Hearing on Legislative Proposals and Tax Law Related to Presidential and Vice-Presidential Tax Returns
WHERE: 1100 Longworth House Office Building
WHEN: Thursday, February 7, 2019
TIME: 2:00 p.m.
* Dr. Joseph J. Thorndike, Director of the Tax History Project, Tax Analysts
* George K. Yin, Edwin S. Cohen Distinguished Professor of Law and Taxation, University of Virginia School of Law
* Noah Bookbinder, Executive Director, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
* Steven M. Rosenthal, Senior Fellow, Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center
* Ken Kies, Managing Director, Federal Policy Group
Administration, Economy & Jobs, Ethics and Transparency, Federal Workforce, Taxes, Voting Rights
“H.R. 1: Strengthening Ethics Rules for the Executive Branch
Wednesday, February 6, 2019 – 10:00am
2154 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515
H.R. 1: Strengthening Ethics Rules for the Executive Branch
* The hearing will examine the proposals in H.R. 1 in the Committee’s jurisdiction, including Title VIII of the bill, the Access to Congressionally Mandated Reports Act, and the Election Day Holiday Act.
* H.R. 1 was introduced by Rep. John Sarbanes on January 3, 2019. The bill includes a package of reforms to clean up corruption, fight big money in politics, and make it easier for American citizens to vote. The bill has 227 cosponsors and is endorsed by more than 65 organizations.
Mr. Scott Amey General Counsel, Project on Government Oversight
Ms. Karen Hobert Flynn President, Common Cause
Mr. Rudy Mehrbani Spitzer Fellow and Senior Counsel, Brennan Center for Justice
Mr. Walter Shaub Jr Senior Advisor, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
Mr. Bradley A Smith Chairman, Institute for Free Speech
Text of Legislation
* H.R. 1 Bill Text http://docs.house.gov/meetings/GO/GO00/20190206/108837/BILLS-116HR1ih.pdf
* Witness List http://docs.house.gov/meetings/GO/GO00/20190206/108837/HHRG-116-GO00-WList-20190206.pdf ” https://oversight.house.gov/legislation/hearings/hr-1-strengthening-ethics-rules-for-the-executive-branch