, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

As Andrew Young explained in the video from that day, they were not going to interrupt traffic. See: “Selma , “Bloody Sunday” , March 7, 1965https://youtu.be/a6InULio9fo
Words that John Lewis used in a documentary to describe Selma: “highlight of the movement”, “like a dream“, “orderly“, “peaceful“, “military discipline“, “precision“, “sense of dignity and pride“. He also points out that they didn’t interfere with the flow of traffic on that day. See: “Bloody Sunday – Rep. John Lewis remembers the fateful day in Selmahttps://youtu.be/DBCTUmTf4GE Not only were they on the sidewalk of the bridge, but they were well within the sidewalk – maybe a foot from the road. These marches were nothing like the current protest-riots, where mostly unidentified actors block highways, set fires, attack police, etc. The current protest-riots appear to be mostly white, too, even in cities with lots of African-Americans. Maybe at first it was solidarity, but by now it’s domination.

See: http://digital.archives.alabama.gov/cdm/ref/collection/amg/id/36232
In 1965, at the height of the modern civil rights movement, activists organized a march for voting rights, from Selma, Alabama, to Montgomery, the state capital. On March 7, some 600 people assembled at a downtown church, knelt briefly in prayer, and began walking silently, two-by-two through the city streets.

With Hosea Williams of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) leading the demonstration, and John Lewis, Chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), at his side, the marchers were stopped as they were leaving Selma, at the end of the Edmund Pettus Bridge, by some 150 Alabama state troopers, sheriff ’s deputies, and possemen, who ordered the demonstrators to disperse.

One minute and five seconds after a two-minute warning was announced, the troops advanced, wielding clubs, bullwhips, and tear gas. John Lewis, who suffered a skull fracture, was one of fifty-eight people treated for injuries at the local hospital. The day is remembered in history as “Bloody Sunday.” Less than one week later, Lewis recounted the attack on the marchers during a Federal hearing at which the demonstrators sought protection for a full-scale march to Montgomery. A transcript of his testimony is presented in the following pages.https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/eyewitness/html.php?section=2

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
First Selma-to-Montgomery March

Jimmie Lee Jackson’s Murder

On February 18, 1965, C. T. Vivian led a march to the courthouse in Marion, the county seat of neighboring Perry County, to protest the arrest of James Orange. State officials had received orders to target Vivian, and a line of Alabama state troopers waited for the marchers at the Perry County courthouse.[50] Officials had turned off all of the nearby street lights, and state troopers rushed at the protesters, attacking them. Protesters Jimmie Lee Jackson and his mother fled the scene to hide in a nearby café. Alabama State Trooper corporal James Bonard Fowler followed Jackson into the café and shot him, saying he thought the protester was trying to get his gun as they grappled. Jackson died eight days later at Selma’s Good Samaritan Hospital, of an infection resulting from the gunshot wound.[51] Jackson was the only male wage-earner of his household, which lived in extreme poverty. Jackson’s father, mother, wife, and children were left with no source of income.
Initiation and goals of the march

During a public meeting at Zion United Methodist Church in Marion on February 28 after Jackson’s death, emotions were running high. James Bevel, as director of the Selma voting rights movement for SCLC, called for a march from Selma to Montgomery to talk to Governor George Wallace directly about Jackson’s death, and to ask him if he had ordered the State Troopers to turn off the lights and attack the marchers. Bevel strategized that this would focus the anger and pain of the people of Marion and Selma toward a nonviolent goal, as many were so outraged they wanted to retaliate with violence.[52][53]

The marchers also hoped to bring attention to the continued violations of their Constitutional rights by marching to Montgomery. Dr. King agreed with Bevel’s plan of the march, which they both intended to symbolize a march for full voting rights. They were to ask Governor Wallace to protect black registrants.

SNCC had severe reservations about the march, especially when they heard that King would not be present.[54] They permitted John Lewis to participate, and SNCC provided logistical support, such as the use of its Wide Area Telephone Service (WATS) lines and the services of the Medical Committee on Human Rights, organized by SNCC during the Mississippi Summer Project of 1964.[55]

Governor Wallace denounced the march as a threat to public safety; he said that he would take all measures necessary to prevent it from happening. “There will be no march between Selma and Montgomery,” Wallace said on March 6, 1965, citing concern over traffic violations. He ordered Alabama Highway Patrol Chief Col. Al Lingo to “use whatever measures are necessary to prevent a march”.[56]

“Bloody Sunday” events

On March 7, 1965, an estimated 525 to 600 civil rights marchers headed southeast out of Selma on U.S. Highway 80. The march was led by John Lewis of SNCC and the Reverend Hosea Williams of SCLC, followed by Bob Mants of SNCC and Albert Turner of SCLC. The protest went according to plan until the marchers crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge, where they encountered a wall of state troopers and county posse waiting for them on the other side.

County sheriff Jim Clark had issued an order for all white males in Dallas County over the age of twenty-one to report to the courthouse that morning to be deputized. Commanding officer John Cloud told the demonstrators to disband at once and go home. Rev. Hosea Williams tried to speak to the officer, but Cloud curtly informed him there was nothing to discuss. Seconds later, the troopers began shoving the demonstrators, knocking many to the ground and beating them with nightsticks. Another detachment of troopers fired tear gas, and mounted troopers charged the crowd on horseback.[57][58][page needed]

Televised images of the brutal attack presented Americans and international audiences with horrifying images of marchers left bloodied and severely injured, and roused support for the Selma Voting Rights Campaign. Amelia Boynton, who had helped organize the march as well as marching in it, was beaten unconscious. A photograph of her lying on the road of the Edmund Pettus Bridge appeared on the front page of newspapers and news magazines around the world.[9][59] Another marcher, Lynda Blackmon Lowery, age 14, was brutally beaten by a police officer during the march, and needed seven stitches for a cut above her right eye and 28 stitches on the back of her head.[60][61] In all, 17 marchers were hospitalized and 50 treated for lesser injuries; the day soon became known as “Bloody Sunday” within the black community.[8]“Excerpted from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to_Montgomery_marches Notice that there was a difference between the more tolerant Selma Mayor, Selma Police Chief Baker, and the (elected) County Sheriff Clark who beat the marchers. Furthermore, Clark deputized the entire white male population, so they weren’t even really law enforcement.