cancer, cats, cumbria, dangers of nuclear, environment, internal radiation, nuclear, nuclear cats, nuclear industry, nuclear waste, nuclear waste site, nuclear weapons, radioactive waste, Sellafield, UK
Sellafield is a British nuclear (waste) site in Cumbria, similar to Hanford and Savannah River Nuclear Sites in the United States.
“Dear Sellafield – To Whom it May Concern
Hope you have had a good Christmas!
I would like to ask the following questions on behalf of Radiation Free Lakeland
The questions relate to the rehoming in 2019 of cats from the Sellafield site
1. Why weren’t the cats rehomed ‘in-house’ with Sellafield staff? (this would have allowed some control of rehoming ie not with young families and allowed ongoing monitoring of the cat and host’s health)
2. What methods were used to ensure the cats sent out to animal charities were ‘safe’ from radioactive contamination? (Alpha emitters cannot be detected even from a small distance. If a cat should have eaten prey from an area contaminated with alpha particles the radiation monitor would not pick this up – and the alpha particle may be lodged within the cat’s body until such time as for example it sneezes or defecates)
3. How many cats were culled on the Sellafield site in 2019 because they were found to be too radioactive to rehome’. What has happened to the bodies of these cats?
4. How many cats have been sent out to local animal organisations/charities to rehome?
5. What financial arrangements has Sellafield made with these organisations/charities?
6. What measures have Sellafield put in place to make sure that this scenario of Sellafield cats being put out for rehoming by members of the public, including young families, never happens again? The fact that staff had continued to feed the cats (a stated reason by Sellafield for the explosion in cats) after being told not to, indicates a humanity but also a lack of discipline in an industry that does not allow in any way for human error.
on behalf of Radiation Free Lakeland”
NB: “cull” is the euphemism (used by Sellafield) for killing, as they have done with Sellafield deer and other animals. 😿
More information: https://mariannewildart.wordpress.com/2019/10/20/atomic-kittens/