Character, disabilities, environment, gender justice, health care, impartiality, justice, Kavanaugh, Kavanaugh nomination, National Council of Churches, NCC, racial justice, Senate Judiciary Committee, Supreme Court, Trump, voting rights
News Release from the National Council of Churches:
“The National Council of Churches (NCC) calls for the withdrawal of the nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court of the United States. We believe he has disqualified himself from this lifetime appointment and must step aside immediately.
We note several reasons. During his appearance before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Judge Kavanaugh exhibited extreme partisan bias and disrespect towards certain members of the committee and thereby demonstrated that he possesses neither the temperament nor the character essential for a member of the highest court in our nation. We are deeply disturbed by the multiple allegations of sexual assault and call for a full and unhindered investigation of these accusations.
In addition, his testimony before the Judiciary Committee included several misstatements and some outright falsehoods. All citizens must be expected to speak truthfully when under oath, however, this is especially true for anyone who seeks a seat on the Supreme Court.
Moreover, Judge Kavanaugh’s extensive judicial and political record is troubling with regard to issues of voting rights, racial and gender justice, health care, the rights of people with disabilities, and environmental protections. This leads us to believe that he cannot be an impartial justice in cases that are sure to come before him at the Court.
Therefore the National Council of Churches calls for the withdrawal of Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court immediately. ” Emphasis our own. Their web site crashed due to public interest, so they tweeted it out. The statement was tweeted out at 6:38 PM EDT on Oct 3, 2018. The above was retyped from the original. We do not believe it to have an error, but it could. It was retyped to hopefully make it more easy to find with searches and more readable. However, the original is always the original. See original here: https://twitter.com/ncccusa/status/1047616959037296640
The largest single denomination which is member of the NCC is the United Methodist Church, which is at the bottom of the list of members of the NCC and thus could be overlooked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States
A Roman Catholic (Jesuit) magazine has called for withdrawal of Kavanaugh’s nomination.
See: “The Editors: It is time for the Kavanaugh nomination to be withdrawn September 27, 2018 https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2018/09/27/editors-it-time-kavanaugh-nomination-be-withdrawn
“Brett Kavanaugh is a Jesuit. Georgetown Prep is a Jesuit school. Kavanaugh is proud of being a Jesuit...” Read “Jesuits Call For Kavanaugh Withdrawal” by voidstuff 2018/09/28 · 14:07, https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/9/28/1799695/-Jesuits-Call-For-Kavanaugh-Withdrawal
“This List of National Council of Churches members mentions the individual member organizations of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA.
* African Methodist Episcopal Church
* African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
* Alliance of Baptists
* American Baptist Churches USA
* Diocese of the Armenian Church of America
* Assyrian Church of the East
* Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
* Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
* Church of the Brethren
* Community of Christ
* Coptic Orthodox Church in North America
* Ecumenical Catholic Communion
* Episcopal Church in the United States of America
* Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
* Friends United Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
* Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
* Hungarian Reformed Church in America
* International Council of Community Churches
* Korean Presbyterian Church in America
* Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, American diocese
* Mar Thoma Church
* Moravian Church in America
* National Baptist Convention of America
* National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
* National Missionary Baptist Convention of America
* Orthodox Church in America
* Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in the USA
* Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
* Polish National Catholic Church
* Presbyterian Church (USA)
* Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.
* Reformed Church in America
* Serbian Orthodox Church in the USA and Canada
* Swedenborgian Church of North America
* Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch, archdiocese of the Eastern U.S.A.
* Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
* United Church of Christ
* United Methodist Church”
Comment on original: