"Russian Interference in the 2016 United States Election”, bank fraud, Conspiracy to Obstruct Justice, Cyprus, debt, European Centre for a Modern Ukraine, FARA, Foreign Agents Registration Act, fraud, fraudulent loans, Gates, Grenadines, Gusenbauer, Hapsburg group, House Arrest, Kilimnik, lobbyists, Manafort, Manafort bail, Manafort Gates superseding indictment, Manafort real estate, Manafort superseding indictment, Manafort Trump Tower, Mercury Public Affairs, Money-laundering, Mueller, Mueller investigation, obstruction of justice, offshore, offshore accounts, Opposition Bloc, Party of Regions, Paul Manafort, Putin, Real Estate, Richard W. Gates III, Russia, seychelles, St. Vincent, taxes, Trump campaign, Trump Campaign manager, Trump Russia collusion, Trump Tower, Ukraine, unregistered foreign agent, USA, Yanukovych
“Judge Jails Ex-Trump Campaign Chair Manafort
Last Updated: June 15, 2018 2:04 PM, by Masood Farivar
A federal judge on Friday sent President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort to prison for tampering with witnesses while out on bail.
Manafort was free on $10 million unsecured bail since he was first indicted last October by the special counsel investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election and alleged collusion with the Trump campaign.
He is one of 20 people charged by special counsel Robert Mueller and the first former Trump associate to go to prison in connection with the investigation.
In a tweet Friday afternoon, President Trump said: “Wow, what a tough sentence for Paul Manafort, who has represented Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and many other top political people and campaigns. Didn’t know Manafort was the head of the Mob. What about Comey and Crooked Hillary and all of the others? Very unfair!”
Manafort appeared in court to plead not guilty to new charges of obstruction of justice and conspiracy to obstruct justice in connection with his efforts to influence the testimony of two potential witnesses in his case.
Federal district judge Amy Berman Jackson, citing the new charges, granted a motion filed last week by Mueller, to revoke his bail and send him to prison while he awaits trial in September.
Manafort was escorted out of the court room by deputies as he waved to his wife. The latest indictment against him, issued by a grand jury last week, accused Manafort, 69, and a business associate, Konstantin Kilimnik, 48, of “repeatedly” contacting two unidentified people in an effort to sway their testimony. The contacts took place between February and April of this year.
According to prosecutors, the two potential witnesses worked with Manafort in enlisting a group of former European officials to lobby both European officials and members of Congress on Ukraine’s behalf.
Defense lawyers, saying Manafort was unaware the two people were cooperating with the special counsel, painted the contacts as innocuous. They asked that prosecutors provide a list of people Manafort should not be contacting while on bail.
“A clear no-contact role will solve the problem,” one of Manafort’s lawyers said. “He can be put in a position where conditions can be met.”
But prosecutors argued that given Manafort’s track record of flouting his bail conditions, no new terms would ensure compliance.
“We’re in a very different situation,” said Andrew Weissmann, one of Mueller’s prosecutors. “Today, we’re talking about obstruction while on bail. Mr. Manafort has absolutely violated the terms of his release by committing a crime while on bail.”
Judge Jackson said she had to “wrestle” with whether to revoke Manafort’s bail, but in the end she said she could not keep him free.
“You have abused the trust placed in you six months ago,” she said.”
“U.S. judge sends former Trump campaign head Manafort to jail
Posted:Fri, 15 Jun 2018 14:54:33 -0400 WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A U.S. federal judge on Friday sent Paul Manafort to jail pending trial after he was charged with witness tampering, in the latest episode in a slow fall from grace of a man who was President Donald Trump’s campaign chairman in 2016.” http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/PoliticsNews/~3/OW6bHvNwrJU/u-s-judge-sends-former-trump-campaign-head-manafort-to-jail-idUSKBN1JB12X
“U.S. v. Paul J. Manafort, Jr. and Konstantin Kilimnik (1:17-cr-201, District of Columbia) A federal grand jury in the District of Columbia returned a third superseding indictment on June 8, 2018, against Paul J. Manafort, Jr., of Alexandria, Va., and Konstantin Kilimnik, of Moscow, Russia. Manafort is charged with conspiracy against the United States, conspiracy to launder money, unregistered agent of a foreign principal, false and misleading FARA statements, and false statements. Manafort and Kilimnik are charged with conspiracy to obstruct justice and obstruction of justice.” (Special Counsel’s Office, Dept. of Justice: https://www.justice.gov/sco )
Excerpts from Third Superseding Indictment:
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v. PAUL J. MANAFORT, JR., and KONSTANTIN KILIMNIK, Defendants Case 1:17-cr-00201-ABJ Document 318 Filed 06/08/18
At all times relevant to this Superseding Indictment:
1. Defendant PAUL J. MANAFORT, JR. (MANAFORT) served for years as a political consultant and lobbyist. Between at least 2006 and 2015, MANAFORT, through companies he ran, acted as an unregistered agent of a foreign government and foreign political parties. Specifically, he represented the Government of Ukraine, the President of Ukraine (Victor Yanukovych, who was President from 2010 to 2014), the Party of Regions (a Ukrainian political party led by Yanukovych), and the Opposition Bloc (a successor to the Party of Regions after Yanukovych fled to Russia in 2014).
2. MANAFORT generated tens of millions of dollars in income as a result of his Ukraine work. From approximately 2006 through 2017, MANAFORT, along with others including Richard W. Gates III (Gates), engaged in a scheme to hide the Ukraine income from United States authorities, while enjoying the use of the money….
As a third part of the lobbying scheme, in or about 2012, MANAFORT, with the assistance of Gates and KILIMNIK, on behalf of Yanukovych and the Party of Regions, secretly retained a group of former senior European politicians to take positions favorable to Ukraine, including by lobbying in the United States. The plan was for the former politicians, informally called the “Hapsburg group,” to appear to be providing their independent assessments of Government of Ukraine actions, when in fact they were paid lobbyists for Ukraine. In 2012 and 2013, MANAFORT used at least four offshore accounts to wire more than 2 million euros to pay the group of former politicians….
COUNT SIX (Obstruction Of Justice)
48. Paragraphs 1 through 36 are incorporated here.
49. From in or about and between February 23, 2018, and April 2018, both dates being approximate and inclusive, within the District of Columbia and elsewhere, the defendants PAUL J. MANAFORT, JR., and KONSTANTIN KILIMNIK knowingly and intentionally attempted to corruptly persuade another person, to wit: Persons D1 and D2, with intent to influence, delay, and prevent the testimony of any person in an official proceeding. (18 U.S.C. §§ 2, 1512(b)(1), and 3551 et seq.)
COUNT SEVEN (Conspiracy to Obstruct Justice)
50. Paragraphs 1 through 36 are incorporated here.
51. From in or about and between February 23, 2018, and April 2018, both dates being approximate and inclusive, within the District of Columbia and elsewhere, the defendants PAUL J. MANAFORT, JR., and KONSTANTIN KILIMNIK knowingly and intentionally conspired to corruptly persuade another person, to wit: Persons D1 and D2, with intent to influence, delay, and prevent the testimony of any person in an official proceeding, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1512(b)(1)…“Case 1:17-cr-00201-ABJ Document 318 Filed 06/08/18
See more here: https://miningawareness.wordpress.com/2018/06/08/third-superseding-indictment-united-states-v-manafort-and-kilimnik-signed-robert-mueller/