"Russian Interference in the 2016 United States Election”, bank fraud, Cyprus, debt, FARA, fraud, fraudulent loans, Gates, Grenadines, Manafort, Manafort bail, Manafort Gates superseding indictment, Manafort real estate, Manafort superseding indictment, Manafort Trump Tower, Money-laundering, offshore, offshore accounts, Opposition Bloc, Party of Regions, Paul Manafort, Putin, Real Estate, Russia, seychelles, St. Vincent, taxes, Trump campaign, Trump Campaign manager, Trump Russia collusion, Trump Tower, Ukraine, unregistered foreign agent, USA, Yanukovych
Trump Tower 5th Ave. If it wasn’t being bugged for most of its existence, the FBI wasn’t doing its job! Manafort still has his Trump Tower apartment, it seems, because according to a document filed a week ago he still claims “residual equity value” in it. https://miningawareness.wordpress.com/2018/02/22/additional-charges-against-trump-campaign-manager-paul-manafort
February 2018 Term – At Alexandria, Virginia
THE GRAND JURY CHARGES THAT:
At all times relevant to this Superseding Indictment:
1. Defendants PAUL J. MANAFORT, JR. (MANAFORT) and RICHARD W. GATES III (GATES) served for years as political consultants and lobbyists. Between at least 2006 and 2015,
Case 1:17-cr-00201-ABJ Document 190-1 Filed 02/22/18 Page 2 of 37
MANAFORT and GATES acted as unregistered agents of a foreign government and foreign political parties. Specifically, they represented the Government of Ukraine, the President of Ukraine (Victor Yanukovych, who was President from 2010 to 2014), the Party of Regions (a Ukrainian political party led by Yanukovych), and the Opposition Bloc (a successor to the Party of Regions after Yanukovych fled to Russia).
2. MANAFORT and GATES generated tens of millions of dollars in income as a result of their Ukraine work. From approximately 2006 through the present, MANAFORT and GATES engaged in a scheme to hide income from United States authorities, while enjoying the use of the money.
During the first part of the scheme between approximately 2006 and 2015, MANAFORT, with GATES’ assistance, failed to pay taxes on this income by disguising it as alleged “loans” from nominee offshore corporate entities and by making millions of dollars in unreported payments from foreign accounts to bank accounts they controlled and United States vendors. MANAFORT also used the offshore accounts to purchase United States real estate, and MANAFORT and GATES used the undisclosed income to make improvements to and refinance their United States properties.
3. In the second part of the scheme, between approximately 2015 and at least January 2017, when the Ukraine income dwindled after Yanukovych fled to Russia, MANAFORT, with the assistance of GATES, extracted money from MANAFORT’s United States real estate by, among other things, using those properties as collateral to obtain loans from multiple financial institutions.
MANAFORT and GATES fraudulently secured more than twenty million dollars in loans by falsely inflating MANAFORT’s and his company’s income and by failing to disclose existing debt in order to qualify for the loans.
4. In furtherance of the scheme, MANAFORT and GATES funneled millions of dollars in
Case 1:17-cr-00201-ABJ Document 190-1 Filed 02/22/18 Page 3 of 37
payments into numerous foreign nominee companies and bank accounts, opened by them and their accomplices in nominee names and in various foreign countries, including Cyprus, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines (Grenadines), and the Seychelles. MANAFORT and GATES hid the existence and ownership of the foreign companies and bank accounts, falsely and repeatedly reporting to their tax preparers and to the United States that they had no foreign bank accounts.
5. In furtherance of the scheme, MANAFORT used his hidden overseas wealth to enjoy a lavish lifestyle in the United States, without paying taxes on that income. MANAFORT, without reporting the income to his tax preparer or the United States, spent millions of dollars on luxury goods and services for himself and his extended family through payments wired from offshore nominee accounts to United States vendors. MANAFORT also used these offshore accounts to purchase multi-million dollar properties in the United States and to improve substantially another property owned by his family.
6. In furtherance of the scheme, GATES used millions of dollars from these offshore accounts to pay for his personal expenses, including his mortgage, children’s tuition, and interior decorating and refinancing of his Virginia residence.
7. In total, more than $75,000,000 flowed through the offshore accounts. MANAFORT, with the assistance of GATES, laundered more than $30,000,000, income that he concealed from the United States Department of the Treasury (Treasury), the Department of Justice, and others. GATES obtained more than $3,000,000 from the offshore accounts, income that he too concealed from the Treasury, the Department of Justice, and others.
Case 1:17-cr-00201-ABJ Document 190-1 Filed 02/22/18 Page 4 of 37….”
Read the entire document plus introductory pages here: https://www.justsecurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2-22-18-Indictment-Manafort-Gates.pdf
“Special counsel files new charges against Trump ex-aides Manafort and Gates Posted:Thu, 22 Feb 2018 21:09:33 -0500 WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The special counsel in the Russia probe filed new criminal charges on Thursday against President Donald Trump’s former campaign aides Paul Manafort and Rick Gates, stepping up pressure in a legal battle that started last year. ” http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/PoliticsNews/~3/BzjJZ-HRXMg/special-counsel-files-new-charges-against-trump-ex-aides-manafort-and-gates-idUSKCN1G62MG